Monday 6 October 2014

Hans Zimmer, stop trying to be Danny Elfman!

Okay, confession time...I think Hans Zimmer is severely overrated. I mean the only one of his scores I think is truly great is the Inception score, fucking awesome score. As for all of his other great scores, he was only the co-composer, like Pirates of the Carribean has Klaus Badelt, Kung Fu Panda had John Powell (Who also did How to Train Your Dragon so I'm gonna assume he did most of the work). And now I know what you're all screaming "What about The Dark Knight!? That score was amazing!" well no, in my opinion that score does not represent Batman, you know what does represent Batman? The Danny Elfman score from the 1989 version, that theme just screams Batman, it goes through a wide range of emotions, from ominous to suspenseful, to epic, to scary, to bombastic, to somber. When I hear that theme I hear Batman. You know what I hear when I listen to The Dark Knight theme? The same several notes over and over again...and eventually it goes duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU and that's it, there's no emotion, no range and it's incredibly repetitive. And don't forget Elfman also did the theme to the Batman Animated Series, and anyone who dares insult the opening to that show, fuck you that opening is amazing.
But the weird thing is, this isn't the only time when Hans Zimmer will try and follow in Danny Elfman's footprints, but he would do the same again with Spider-Man. Danny Elfman did the original theme to the Spider-Man movie franchise, and if you saw my review of the original Spider-Man movie then you will know how much I love that score, it is a masterpiece in my opinion and again, everything about the main theme just feels like Spider-Man. Then Hans Zimmer ended up doing the score for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and while being honest I do thoroughly enjoy the score, let's be honest, there's no identity to it, I mean listen to the main theme, it could easily play over a Superman or Captain America movie; when you listen to the original score, there is no fooling that that is Spider-Man's theme.

My point is, Mr Zimmer, stop copying off of Danny Elfman, because trust me, you can't fill those guy's shoes, after all this is the guy that did Nightmare Before Christmas, both music and Jack's singing voice, he's clearly a man of many talents, you have a funny name to pronounce.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment