Tuesday 7 October 2014

Don Bluth, What Happened Man?

There were a lot of things from the 80's that just didn't survive in the 90s, John Hughes Movies, Neon Clothing, Freddie Mercury. And of course Don Bluth, one of the greatest animated film makers of all time, making films such as Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, Land Before Time. The guy has made some of the greatest animated films of all time, the animation is beautiful, the stories are fantastic and the themes are memorable, also they can be scary as shit (Sharptooth anyone?). Fact is these aren't just some of the greatest animated movies, but some of the greatest movies...so what the hell happened to him in the 90's? 80's Don Bluth was so good that he was giving Disney a run for their money, and that's saying something, so what went wrong? A Troll in Central Park, Anastasia, Thumbelina, all of these movies sucked big time and I have no idea why.

The only major difference is that Bluth was credited as co-director along with Gary Goldman (Goldman, not Oldman) but I doubt he's the reason everything sucked because he produced all of Bluth's big hits and even wrote a couple of em. Maybe it was because Disney was entering the Disney Renaissance so the competition became too much for him? I guess but I don't see how competition would have caused his movies to decline in quality. Fact is I have no idea why Bluth suddenly dropped off the map, I mean the guy seemed to start going against everything he stood for, one thing that he said that I will never forget is "You can make a movie as dark as you want and kids will be alright as long as there's a happy ending" and that I feel is so true, so why did his movies become kiddier and more pandering? Studio interference maybe? Well it's possible but I don't really know. And things didn't get better in the 2000's where he only made one movie Titan A.E. which would end up being his last movie as well, which is a huge shame because that was one of the worst animated movies I've ever seen. Seriously how the hell does a guy go from making some of the best animated movies to the worst animated movies!? I just hope that the guy has it in him to make at least one more movie because I know the guy has it in him to make another hit, please Don Bluth, come back!

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment