Wednesday 3 December 2014

Naming Your Kids After Fictional Characters

It's been nearly 2 decades...i'm still waiting to meet someone called Hermione in real life! I bring this up because there was a recent study talking about how in recent years, a lot of people have been naming their kids after fictional characters, for example, this year over 2,000 newborn babies have been given the name Elsa, how many Disney character names do you normally meet? I mean i've never met anyone called Simba or Ariel or...Kronk. I guess Elsa isn't that odd of a name, I mean it hasn't been used in mainstream culture since the 1800's, but still. And there are also things of kids being named Danaerys, Dexter or Arya and stuff like that. Now you're probably on two sides of this, one: "oh wow that's really cool" two: "oh wow that's really weird". I personally am sort of on the first side, and by that I mean if a character has inspired you someway or affected your life, then why not name your kid after them, I mean Atticus Finch is one of the most inspirational literary characters of all time, why wouldn't you name a kid after him? We could all strive to be a little more like Atticus. Or even if it's just a simple, name your kid Elsa because it sounds like a cool name, that's also fine. But then you get into the territory where naming your kid after someone and that could lead to a negative impact. I mean I love Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, but i'm not gonna name my kid after him, you have any idea how much he'd get bullied for that? Or maybe Garrus Vakarian, yeah, cool name, but it's not even a real name, i'm not naming my son after an alien from a videogame with a fake name (A dog maybe). So really if you want to name your kid after someone fictional, then that's fine, just don't do it with someone that your kid would probably get picked on for being named Bilbo.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment