Saturday 27 December 2014

I Don't Get The Appeal, But That's Okay.

Some of the biggest YouTubers out there are beauty gurus, okay they might not be the most popular, but channels dedicated to just make-up, clothing, jewlery and other stuff like that is pretty much guaranteed to rake in thousands of views, the only thing more guaranteed to get views is to be a skinny British boy with an emo-haircut (Damn, a third of the way there). For a while I couldn't help but think "why do so many people watch this? What's the appeal of watching someone buy so much make-up? Are there really those many different brands to buy? God this is so stupid." But then I remembered that some of my favourite YouTubers, as well as one of my favourite hobbies are Blu-Ray collections. YouTube Channels of people buying blu-rays and having huge collections, I love channels like those, though to be fair, a lot of that is down to the personality on camera, like WastingMoney1 or John Flickster. But it's also something that I love doing in my free time, I always binge buy DVDs and Blu-Rays whenever I go shopping into town, hell, during the boxing day sales I ended up buying a stack of DVDs so high it went up to my pelvis. Quite a few of them I don't even like all too much, or even at all hell, some of them i've owned for months without ever watching, yeah I own Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, is it a good movie? No. Yeah I have Superman Returns, will I ever watch it again? No. Yeah I bought the Alien Anthology collection, will I ever watch anything past 2? Hell No. And then I realised, everything I think is stupid about beauty gurus and their fans, would probably look at my interests and say the same thing. Yes people are going to have interests that seem strange to you, you just have to acknowledge that there must be a reason why they like it, it's like the old saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment