Tuesday 23 June 2015

That Sense of "Catching Up"...

The three biggest passions in my life are movies, videogames and television and usually they go in cycles for which one i'm in the mood for and different things can set them off. Videogames it's usually because some big event or new release is coming up that makes me want to play a whole bunch of new games. Television is similar, if a new season for a popular show is coming soon, it makes me want to binge watch all the prior seasons. With movies it's different, seeing as new releases are coming out constantly and they're not nearly as big of a time commitment as TV or videogames. Also there's the fact that movies have a richer history behind them, videogames only have a couple of decades behind them, and TV only has a few more, and most of them don't really have many products from the early days that stand the test of time or that you "have to see" for that sense of credit. Movies have over a hundred years of history behind them and because they're not as big of a commitment, thus seen as easier to watch, there's a lot more scrutiny behind not seeing a certain film. How many times have you heard someone say "You have to watch this film" and true, you get that with games and TV, it's not to the same extent as movies. Movies have hundreds of films that you "have" to see and there are plenty of people that will question your love of films if you never see a certain film(s). So with that, i have that sense of catching up that makes me want to watch movies, whenever i see people talk about films that i've never seen it makes me want to watch more. Even when i hear people who are over 2 decades older than me talk about a bunch of films they've seen that i haven't, i feel like i'm falling behind even though they've had over 20 years of a head start on me. With every film i see, that's one more that brings me closer to seeing every film that I "have" to see, which is not a good way to look at things because in reality i'm never going to see every film that I "have" to see because that list is always going to be growing the more people I talk too.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment