Thursday 25 September 2014

Schmoes Know Network Reviews

If you don't watch the Schmoes Know then here's a history lesson for ya. Schmoes Know is a brand name started by the Schmoes Kristian Harloff and Mark Ellis, it started out with them doing movie reviews on YouTube (in horrible video quality, let's be honest) back in 2008 and to this day they are still doing that (though the quality is much better) and now they are the first YouTube film critics to be recognised by Rotten Tomatoes, they go to screenings for movies and have interviewed dozens of people in the industry. Eventually they began their own podcast in a living room with some cheap microphones, and now they have their own studio, team of professionals and recently have started their own network. This network consists of other team members of the Schmoes Know crew with their own podcasts to talk about specific movie related topics and while I imagine there will be more in the future, I'm gonna talk about the ones on the network right now.

Box Office Breakdown
I'll be honest, the initial concept for this podcast didn't interest me, I mean we already get the box office facts on sundays so I didn't see the point in having a whole podcast dedicated to it. But then I saw who was hosting it, JTE & Finstock, put those two together and you have a great comedy team, but then again, something was missing, and then we got Sara Stretton, who just completed this trio of awesome. Finstock being the wild and hard to control one, JTE as the more direct and unorganised one and Sara as the voice of reason, you couldn't ask for a better trio. So while the concept itself still doesn't interest me, I keep watching every week simply for the hosts, because they're the ones that make the show entertaining.

Guilty Movie Pleasures
I'll be honest, this is my least favourite of the podcasts, now that's not to say that it's a bad podcast, it's just they haven't really discussed a film that I care all too much about (Except for Point Break). That plus Steve Simone while funny I'm in the minority of not thinking he's hilarious, The Wildman I obviously love but again, the main thing is if I don't care about the movie, I don't care about the podcast.


Jedi Alliance
This right here is my favourite new podcast on the network, and why? Because I bloody love Star Wars! Who doesn't? I mean it's Star Wars! It's always interesting to talk about the greatest science-fiction film franchise of all time, and not to mention Ken Napzok & Maude Garrett are hilarious, seperate or together, everything about this podcast works, Jedi Alliance FTW!



Marvel Movie News
This was one that I was very curious on as it's the only podcast made up of entirely new crew members, so I was quite excited for it, getting to meet the new crew members and also I am a big fan of Marvel so it was definitely something I was interested in. And it definitely met my expectations, talking about all things Marvel, including the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, as soon as they brought that up I was a fan, it's still rather new so I can't fully judge it yet but I am definitely going to keep watching.








Meet the Movie Press
Probably the most educational of the new podcasts, taking a more critical look at the movie press industry overall and seeing it from different aspects from getting a new scoop and the legality and honesty of the press industry and seeing how much work these people have to put into it, it's a very interesting podcast to listen to. I will admit it's technically the least entertaining of the podcasts but I feel as though it's main goal is to educate its listeners and it definitely meets that goal because I always feel that little bit smarter after listening to it.







Profiles
So let me just say this about Profiles, Alicia Malone and Scott Mantz are just simply amazing, they are the best hosts on the network, hearing them geek out over things is just the best, they could be talking about making a loaf of bread and they'll somehow make it the most entertaining thing in your life. Hearing these two talk about some of the greatest film makers of all time is just a blast and according to Schmoeville it appears to be their favourite podcast, for me it's a very close second to Jedi Alliance and it is just fantastic.

Schmoes Know Podcast

And finally we have the big one, the original and the greatest podcast of all time, the Schmoes Know Podcast. This is my favourite mostly because it has all of the great characters from the other podcasts but it is the one that made me such a huge fan of the Schmoes and I look forward to it every week, hell, I've even stayed up late sometimes to watch it live, and considering that it airs at 2am England time, that takes commitment. It's the podcast that started it all and gave us the Schmoeville that we all love, not to mention it has the best guests and has a lot of great segments on it like Schmoevillian of the week, Celebrity Dating Game, Ultimate Trivia, The Game, Tweet a Celebrity, Ken's news. It's the podcast that started it all and made the Schmoes who they are today and has the most content towards it, it's the best podcast on the network and the best podcast there is.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment