Sunday 22 March 2015

I'm Surprisingly Cynical On Comedies

Comedy is both my favourite film genre as well as the one i am the harshest on; I obviously love to laugh like everyone, but my god, so many comedies are lazy, bland and incredibly DULL! Or as I like to call them, Will Ferrell Movies. My problem is that mainstream comedies all feel the same and have little creativity behind how they're filmed or written. And this isn't a problem with just modern comedies, but so many classic comedies are just so blandly filmed. But it's a bigger problem these days by which how so heavily improvised a lot of them are. Now don't get me wrong, I love improve comedians, Robin Williams, Russell Howard, you know, people who are actually good at improvising. But a lot of the big comedians these days, Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, are not good at it, because it's not jokes, it's just banter between friends, it's like watching people have inside jokes except you're not inside of it. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Seth Rogen & Will Ferrell, when they're doing pre-written material, but when improvising, it's just then rambling a bunch of random words and i'm sorry, that's just not funny. People really don't realise how much planning and strategy goes into good comedy. How much effort went into every Abott & Costello sketch, every detailed frame for Tom & Jerry, when Edgar Wright makes the perfect edit or Jim Rash deliver a perfect line to make it the best joke possible, and that kind of effort just doesn't go into the mainstream comedies.

Above all else, they're all the same, how many times has Seth Rogen played the same character? That's why my favourite comedies are the ones doing something different, anything different. Like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Life of Brian, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, Emperor's New Groove, 22 Jump Street. The ones that actually try to stand out against what they're going to be compared too, that are clever and creative and do-something-different! And we just don't get that as often as we should, and that upsets me.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment