Friday 14 November 2014

My Favourite Characters - The Doctor

Haven't done one of these in a while. Continuing my series of favourite characters, it's time to talk about The Doctor. Now I should clarify, I'm talking about David Tennant's portrayal of The Doctor, yeah I know it's cliched and it's an easy pick but for me, he is the best Doctor that we've ever had. The Doctor for me is everything he needs to be. He can be the everyman that you relate to, or he can be the hero that you idolize. He can be the leader that you fear or the friend you can trust. He's a genius, he's an idiot, he's brave, he's a coward, he's funny, he's serious, he is everything all at once, he is The Doctor. And the only actor so far who has pulled off being able to all of these things and more is David Tennant, every other actor has achieved a selection of those elements but never all of them. For example John Pewtree's Doctor I felt wasn't very empathetic while say Matt Smith's Doctor wasn't very threatening. Tennant has done it all, and more. And even though there are multiple moments in his run as the Doctor that are awesome, one that has always stuck out to me is his speech on the Titanic spaceship (yes, they did that once). This scene I feel was made for any new fans, and that if this was their first ever intro to the character, they would just look at him and go "that guy is a badass".


For me, The Doctor is the ultimate hero, he almost never solves problems with violence, always his brain, whether it be talking his way out of a bad situation or just simply outsmarting his opponents...or running, lots and lots of running. He was the man that would go to hell and back just to save a total stranger, the one who would (and has) given up everything just for the life of one man. He believes everyone has a purpose and everyone can help, he'll never leave someone behind as long as he can help. But with that being said, you better not piss this man off, because hell hath no fury like a Timelord who's pissed. A man who's more than willing to torture, to kill and destroy, all for the greater good, but...will always give you a chance, a chance to run, a chance to repent, a chance to fix your mistakes, the man of unlimited power, with unlimited mercy.

The Doctor is everything, he is an icon, a legend, a warrior, a hero, the man who has achieved what most wouldn't even be able to dream of. He is one of the greatest characters I have ever seen in my entire life, and of course, he is going to be on here.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment