Monday 10 August 2015

OTHER Changes I Want In Marvel Comics

A few months ago I talked about the changes that I want to see in the Marvel Universe after Secret Wars ended, but really there's more to talk about. So let's take another crack at this. The big thing that i want to change is that i want things to change. By that I mean i want the equilibrium to be disrupted, i want characters to grow, i want them to change, i want decisions to be permanent. The biggest problem with mainstream comics by Marvel & DC is nothing ever changes, no relationship is permanent, no event will leave an everlasting effect and no death will stay dead. Marvel has an opportunity to change that now, do something new, make characters interesting again by forcing them to change. In my original post i said that I didn't want Peter Parker to go back to school, but really I do want to see that, I want to see him go to school, i want to see him go to college, i want him to get a job, i want him to marry Mary Jane, I want him to have a family, I want to see Aunt May die of old age. I want Peter to be a human being, I want him to age and see him actually become an adult. You don't have to have characters stay the exact same to keep them interesting, I'm not saying Peter has to lose his essence, I've done an entire essay on the essentials on the character, but age isn't one of them. You can have Spider-Man swinging about and making jokes but worried about how he's going to do at school, or you can have him swinging around making jokes but worried about paying bills and supporting his family. I want him to age every year and grow as a person, and i want this to be for everyone.

If someone dies, i want them to stay dead, that way characters won't die as often, but when they do, it will leave a massive impact knowing that we won't see them again. That goes for heroes and villains. I want to see new heroes and new villains, create new dynamics, make new iconic characters for people to attach themselves too. I want some people to behave differently. I want Ben Grimm to actually be perfectly fine being The Thing and actually enjoy the power, I want Wolverine to not be in love with Jean Grey, I want Steve Rodgers and Tony Stark to get along, I want characters to get married and stay married. I want consistency, i want cause & effect, i want something new, and sometimes that something new can simply be things staying the same, because in the world of comics where they're afraid to do change things up for characters and always have to reboot them, i want characters to go through experiences that will effect them in the future and the writers stick to those stories.

Will these things happen? Probably not. If anything, this reboot is just happening to make it easier for new people to read comics, so that means more of the same stuff that we've seen happen time and time again. But if Marvel does this for even one of their books then that will instantly become my favourite comic they make.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment