Sunday 26 February 2017

My Favourite Characters - Trico

*Spoilers ahead*

When I started this series, I didn’t expect an animal would make it onto my list of favourite characters. I mean, there are certainly characters that I like that have animal characteristics, or are part animal, but they’re still mostly human-like characters with a voice or self-awareness, basically the things that make a character a character. Trico however, is just a pet. He also happens to be the greatest pet ever. From The Last Guardian, Trico is a mystical animal, inspired by several other animals including dog, cat, bird and... elephant judging by the size. When you first meet him, he’s a dangerous, scared, untrusting creature, but as you spend time with him, feed him, take care of him, he eventually grows to care for you, much like an actual pet would. This would be the first great thing about Trico, how realistic he is. It’s incredibly difficult for videogames and animation to accurately recreate an animal’s movements and behaviours, even with references, because animals are spontaneous creatures, very hard to predict how they move and act. Now Trico has a bit of an advantage seeing as he is a fictional creature made up of several others, but regardless, everyone can see the influence behind him and how scarily accurate his movements are. Sometimes he moves like a cat, or behaves like a dog, and many a people-including myself-find it scary how realistic it is.

The fact that he is a fictional creature also allows for him to feel much more unique. If you ever pay attention to how a love of mythical creatures in films behave when they’re being passed off as pets, usually they behave just like dogs, just look at Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon as a good example. While Trico’s influences are prominent, he still feels like a wholly unique creature that you will fall in love with. And yes, you will fall in love with him. If you’re a pet owner, this game will ruin you from how much this creature reminds you of your own pet, and as someone who hasn’t been a pet owner in many years, I found myself actively talking to Trico the same way I would with a dog or a cat. It’s also helped that he is just freaking adorable. I am so glad there was a button just for looking at Trico because so many times I just wanted to admire and cuddle this adorable creature.

That connection you make with Trico is also brilliantly paced, going from being frightened of you, to indifference, to loving and protecting you. With very little dialogue and letting the actions speak for them, every time you feed him, heal his wounds, pet him, guide him, he grows closer to you. First he’ll start listening to you and take orders, then he’ll fight off guards who attack you, save you when you fall, and fight tooth and nail to protect you, the same way you would for him. There are two moments in particular that stand out to me. One is when a second creature shows up (I named him Quatrico) and starts attacking Trico, and I found myself panicking while trying to save my precious friend. Likewise later on, when the statue soldier tried to kidnap me, Trico overcame his fear of the weird stained windows to protect me, and I don’t think I’ve ever felt a greater sense of pride and love for a videogame character. He relied on me just as much as I relied on him, the perfect balance.

Even the name itself, Trico, has multiple meanings to it. The most notable is that his name is the Japanese word for prisoner (Toriko), it could also be a combination of the words bird (Tori) and cat (Neko). But one interpretation that I came up with, which also holds the least meaning, but is the most fun, is that this is the third Ico game, making it a Trio of Ico, Trico. It’s just small details like that with so many meanings that show how much effort and meaning was put into this game. No detail is irrelevant, everything has a story, a purpose, and is highly creative. Which it should be, they’ve been making this game for over a bloody decade, I would expect them to have perfected every little detail.

Trico is the best animal to ever be portrayed in a videogame, hell, considering there are no other animals as far as I can think of that I would feature on this series, I guess that also makes him the best fictional animal ever. He’s incredibly unique, realistic, loveable, the connection you have with him is beautiful, and if you are a pet owner, this game will destroy you by making you fall in love with this thing and then cry every time he gets injured. He’s the best animal and I love him the same way I would an actual pet, and I’m willing to bet you will as well.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment