Tuesday 16 August 2016

Is iZombie the BEST DC Comic Book Show on TV?

So yeah, I just got finished binge watching through the first two seasons of iZombie and I am craving more (Puns!). iZombie is based on the hit Vertigo Comic of the same name, and Vertigo Comics is owned by DC Comics, which makes this one of many DC Shows airing on The CW right now. And as I finished the second season and started to collect my thoughts on it, something occurred to me: "There wasn't a single episode I disliked". Yes there were certainly average episodes, mostly in the first season, but nothing outright BAD. Nothing where I was rolling my eyes at and saying "Oh my god you people are so stupid". If anything, the show took a massive leap in quality from season 1 which was half average and half super enjoyable, to season 2 which was half super enjoyable and half insanely freakin' good!

Almost everything was improved, the show developed more of a style (Particularly with those food making scenes), the jokes were a lot more witty and satirical. The actors were given a better chance to show off their talents both comedically and dramatically. The main plot was engaging, tense and had several fresh twists. The filler episodes were creative and memorable. Even from a production design things had drastically improved with much more interesting sets. The biggest problem season 1 had in my opinion is that there's often very little you can do to make cloudy and grey Seattle look interesting over an extended period of time, but this season added more colour, gave a better variety of locations and seemed to put more effort in how the series looked. Also unlike the other Comic Book shows that are forced to a 22-24 episode structure, iZombie seems to be allowed to have as many as they want. Season 1 consisted of 13 episodes, season 2 with 19 and season 3 is back to 13, that means their storytelling is much more concise with far less filler, and even when there is filler, there is still story progression in some way.

So that's all well and good, but that thought lead to another, comparing it to the other DC Shows on The CW. Flash had an amazing first season and a hit & miss second season. Arrow had two really good seasons and two really bad seasons. Supergirl & Legends of Tomorrow were for the most part average with some bad stuff thrown in every so often. So technically speaking, iZombie is the best DC Comics show on television (Don't even get me started on Teen Titans Go, it's horrendous). I mean if we're talking about which show has reached the peak of quality, it's Flash. And yes, iZombie is currently batting the same average as Arrow was at this part in its run. But even still, I can think of plenty of episodes in seasons 1 & 2 or Arrow I didn't like. But iZombie, i don't think there is a single episode that I would give a negative review for, there are maybe 6-7 I would say were simply okay, but that's still a positive review. But likewise, there are about 20 episodes I would say are really great.

*Spoilers in this paragraph*
Now that's not to say I don't have problems with the series. I wish the story with Liv's family got a proper ending in season 2, I feel Major's stories in both seasons had too many similarities, and for the love of god stop killing off Liv's zombie boyfriends!

Percentage wise, iZombie is currently at a 100% success rate, and that's not just me, but season 2 currently has a 100% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes (Season 1 has 96%). So far iZombie has not put a step out of line, and even though Flash is still my favourite-again, when it comes to peak of success, Flash is on top-depending on where both shows go in their 3rd season the wind could start blowing in the opposite direction.

So in case it wasn't obvious, I kinda really like this show and highly recommend it.

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment