Tuesday 29 July 2014

My Time at Manchester Comic-Con

I have never been to San Diego Comic-Con, I hope to one day, it would probably be a lot of fun and an awful lot of...standing in line. But I did get to go to Manchester Comic-Con, which is pretty much just a normal con, no big movie announcements, it's just a place for nerds to gather, buy nerdy things and meet nerdy people...And it is FUCKING AWESOME!!! TRIPLE EXCLAMATION MARK AWESOME!!!

Now allow me to start by saying I have never been to a con like this before, the closest I had ever gotten was Summer in the City, a convention for YouTubers, and being honest that was kind of disappointing as there wasn't really much to do, but MCM I had a blast at! Not only did I buy a lot of nerdy shit that I don't need yet over a week later and I still don't regret it, but getting to see all those awesome and nerdy cosplayers and talking to them and hanging out with them was just so much fun.
Yes, that's me in all my handsomeness

So, let's go over some of the awesome things that happened at MCM. First of all, one non-awesome thing, is waiting in line to get into the convention...when it was raining. Now thankfully we were in the express line so we only had to wait outside for 10-20 minute, and everyone had umbrellas and were more than willing to share, so I got to share an umbrella with a lovely Toph cosplayer. But from then on out it was straight on fun!

The first couple of hours were pretty quiet seeing as they hadn't let the majority in the hall yet, and me and my friends pretty much spent all of this time buying everything we wanted, including the Deadpool mask and Tony Tony Chopper hat you see in the photo above. My friend Lewis called me Tony Tony Deadpool, this is a name I now wear with honour. Other purchases include japanese candy which is delicious by the way. I also took a bunch of photos of some cosplayers, the best ones being a Time Lord, Ghost Rider, Storm Troopers and a Yu-Gi-Oh card...awesome. I also got by T-Shirt signed by Vic Mignogna, a.k.a. Edward Elric! Awesoooooomeeeee!

After that around the lunch time slump is when things started to die down for us, it was our first con and we'd done all our nerdy purchases and met all our celebrities, and also more people were coming into the con so it was getting kinda crowded so we really didn't know what else to do. So after about an hour or so of relaxing I thought "fuck it, I'm gonna talk to other people" and what ensued was me having a duet with Flynn from Tangled, playing Twister with Harley Quinn and Beetlejuice and watching Mario pretend to snort a mushroom like it was cocaine...so yeah I would say I had a lot of fun for the next couple of hours, so that's what I would say to any of you who wish to go to a convention, don't be afraid to interact with people, especially cosplayers, they really get into character for that. Seriously, these people all love what they're cosplaying as so feel free to interact with them.

I am definitely going again next year and hopefully will be properly cosplaying as something, because it just looks so cool!

And also here were the top 5 cosplays as Manchester Comic-Con!

5. Deadpool
There are always Deadpool cosplayers, but the best part is there are almost always some variations on the character, which is awesome.

4. Elsa
Well the hype train for Frozen is yet too cool off (bah-dum-pssh) so obviously there were a tone of Frozen cosplayers, the most common one being Elsa's ice dress (Though personally I prefer her pre-Let it Go dress).

3. Finn The Human
Adventure Time comes in hoards of cosplayers, I mean jesus, no matter what the convention, Adventure Time will be there and there will be plenty of Finn The Humans...but not that many Lady Rainicorns sadly.

2. The Joker
I've grown to hate The Joker cosplays, mostly because they are all the same, I mean seriously, there about a million variations on The Joker, you don't have to keep coming as Heath Ledger Joker! No love for Mark Hamill? Even the Harley Quinn cosplays are more creative!

1. The Doctor
You know it's odd for a franchise with 12 different cosplay options all we keep getting is 4, 5, 10 & 11...seriously, #6 is just begging to be cosplayed!

-Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment